User talk:Pelagic

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Newsletters are archived (or dual-delivered) to /Newsletters. Apologies for all the un-actioned newsletters here; I hope to clean them up some day. See also /NewsSelection. Automated notices are manually archived to /Notices.

Welcome from Martyman[edit]

Welcome!

Hello Pelagic, and welcome to Wikipedia! Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:

I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wikipedian! Please sign your name on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically produce your name and the date. If you have any questions, check out Wikipedia:Where to ask a question or ask me on my talk page.

I see you aren't brand new but I thought as no one else had greated you yet I would say hi. I notice you have been editing articles related to Sydney which is great there is still a lot of information about Australia that needs to be fleshed out. It would be great if you would consider joining the Sydney WikiProject which helps users focus their efforts and sets out guidlines and targets for Sydney articles. It would also help you meet other editors who may have similar interests to you. There is also the Australian Wikipedians' notice board which is central meeting place for Australian Wikipedians. --Martyman-(talk) 09:39, 1 January 2006 (UTC)[reply]

Hi

Thanks, Martyman, that's a great welcome message. I'm posting back onto my own talk page in case you have a watch on it. I'm new at this so still don't have a great grasp on how the various user pages, discussion pages, project pages, etc. fit into the whole authoring/revision/consensus/editing process.

Pelagic 17:42, 26 February 2006 (UTC)[reply]

It can be a bit confuding yes, though after enough time most things here become almost second nature. It is easy to forget how daunting the interface and communication system is for new comers. I can recommend that the Wikipedia:Community Portal has many useful links for learning your way around. --Martyman-(talk) 21:02, 26 February 2006 (UTC)[reply]

Sydney meetup[edit]

Hi, I got your name from this list, and thought you might be interested in a meetup in Sydney at the Alexandria Hotel tomorrow. I hope you can join us. Sorry for the late notice. --99of9 (talk) 11:23, 18 November 2011 (UTC)[reply]

Disambiguation link notification for October 3[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Western banded snake eagle, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Raptor. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:15, 3 October 2014 (UTC)[reply]

Apology[edit]

Pelagic ... very sorry if you got a few password reset messages. I couldn't remember my previously created but unused account name and the system looked like it let me send a password reset to your acccount and my email -- hopefully it just looks that way and doesn't really do it. I am now pelagicsmath Pelagicsmath (talk) 01:04, 9 October 2014 (UTC)[reply]

DYK for White-rumped falcon[edit]

 — Crisco 1492 (talk) 00:04, 11 November 2014 (UTC)[reply]

Finding copyright year on UBD street directories[edit]

Hi, DaveDodgy here. I read what you were writing about Bankstown Airport and it's naming. Do you still have the old street directory with only the edition number (no year) ? Thanks. DaveDodgy (talk) 14:27, 17 November 2014 (UTC)[reply]

Wow, Dave, that post was nine years ago! I'd forgotten all about it. I'm not sure whether I could put my hands on the book, it may be packed away. If I find it on the bookshelf I'll let you know, but I have a feeling it's in a crate under a pile of other crates behind a mountain of stuff in a storage unit. Or my wife may have thrown it out years ago without my knowledge. Pelagic (talk) 11:58, 18 November 2014 (UTC)[reply]
Hi. I know exactly how you feel. I moved home so many times in the last 4 years alone! Things in PODS, things in a 20' container, things hidden in the roof, things chucked out by my landlords, and cousin, etc. Not knowing what I still have, and what is gone. Or where it is! Nightmare!!!! Depressing!!!! If you ever see the same street directory, at a garage sale, or where ever (based on the image of the front cover) have a look, and get back online ! :) Sorry to any moderator, I know this comment doesn't belong here. DaveDodgy (talk) 13:32, 2 December 2014 (UTC)[reply]

Talk:The Dark Fields[edit]

Care to reply? --George Ho (talk) 04:36, 18 October 2015 (UTC)[reply]

Thanks for the prompt, George. I've replied on the talk page. I hope this mention pings you (am still trying to get my head around the alerting system). Pelagic (talk) 10:51, 20 October 2015 (UTC)[reply]

ArbCom elections are now open![edit]

Hi,
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:40, 23 November 2015 (UTC)[reply]

A brownie for you![edit]

Brownie transparent.png Thank you for your help!!! Songuitar333 (talk) 07:08, 14 March 2017 (UTC)[reply]

A barnstar for you![edit]

Team Barnstar Hires.png The Teamwork Barnstar
Thank You for editing Pransukh Nayak and helping me in DYK. Regards, Nizil (talk) 05:40, 10 July 2018 (UTC)[reply]

DYK nomination of Cheerleading in Australia[edit]

Symbol question.svg Hello! Your submission of Cheerleading in Australia at the Did You Know nominations page has been reviewed, and some issues with it may need to be clarified. Please review the comment(s) underneath your nomination's entry and respond there as soon as possible. Thank you for contributing to Did You Know! Narutolovehinata5 tccsdnew 00:11, 1 August 2018 (UTC)[reply]

Template:Did you know nominations/Cheerleading in Australia[edit]

Hello. I have reviewed your DYK nomination of Cheerleading in Australia, and there are some sourcing and issues that need to be addressed. Please fix these as soon as possible, otherwise the nomination will be marked for closure as stale. Thank you and happy editing. Narutolovehinata5 tccsdnew 01:28, 10 August 2018 (UTC)[reply]

Please see new note on your DYK nomination. Yoninah (talk) 22:34, 12 September 2018 (UTC)[reply]

Cheerleading in Australia[edit]

Hello Pelagic. As you have not responded to comments left on your DYK nomination of Cheerleading in Australia, the nomination has now been marked for closure. If you wish for the nomination to continue, please leave a message there before it is closed. Thank you. Narutolovehinata5 tccsdnew 02:02, 12 August 2018 (UTC)[reply]

Template:Did you know nominations/Cheerleading in Australia[edit]

As you have not been active on Wikipedia over the past few weeks, I have now marked your DYK nomination for closure. If you wish for the nomination to continue, please return to editing as soon as possible. Thank you. Narutolovehinata5 tccsdnew 04:00, 19 September 2018 (UTC)[reply]


This bot DID NOT nominate any file(s) for deletion; please refer to the page history of each individual file for details. Thanks, FastilyBot (talk) 01:00, 10 August 2019 (UTC)[reply]

Page move[edit]

I moved the page you created today to User:Pelagic/sandbox/j/2019/08/16. You created the page in mainspace because you forgot to prepend User: before your name. Schazjmd (talk) 21:58, 15 August 2019 (UTC)[reply]

Belated note: thanked on their talk page with some wikilove. Pelagic (talk) 01:59, 9 September 2019 (UTC)[reply]

Arb comments[edit]

Hi Pelagic, could it be that your latest comment on the Fram proposed decision talkpage got accidentally placed in the wrong section? It ended up underneath mine but looks as if it was meant to be in yours, right? Fut.Perf. 09:48, 12 September 2019 (UTC)[reply]

Heheh, now that I look more closely, it seems you actually posted it three times, in a different section each. Probably because somebody else was busy inserting more section headings above yours and edit-conflicting with you all the time. ;-) Fut.Perf. 09:51, 12 September 2019 (UTC)[reply]
Aha, you've hit the nail on the head, FP☼. I see that Gerda added some subheads and that the section-edit links work by section number — action=edit&section=22 or #/editor/22 — so that explanation would make … 'perfect' sense. The mobile interface doesn't appear to be detecting edit conflicts for me. (Nothing appeared to happen after tapping the Publish button. Also nothing happened when I tried to delete the stray comment in Nosebagbear's section, as you were removing that at the same time. Have left a null-edit summary in the history: mobdiff.) Not sure if the broken ec-detection is a general thing, or specific to AMC, &/or dependent on platform/device. Thanks for cleaning up. Pelagic (talk) 18:53, 12 September 2019 (UTC)[reply]

Brock Blomberg Bio Request[edit]

Hello! I want to thank you again for helping with this request to review and remove the misinterpreted content from the Brock Blomberg article. I was hoping you'd be able to return to this request to remove inaccurate text about T. Winegar as well. I included the link to the (resolved) legal docket, per your request. The last 2 paragraphs of the "Career" section are problematic (as outlined here), but I'm willing to focus on the Winegar content specifically if that's your preference. I understand you probably have a few other requests out there, so if there are fellow editors who may be willing to assist or offer recommendations, please feel free to point me in that direction too. Thanks, again, for your ongoing help and guidance! TY Ursinus (talk) 19:10, 29 October 2019 (UTC)[reply]

A survey to improve the community consultation outreach process[edit]

Hello!

The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking to improve the community consultation outreach process for Foundation policies, and we are interested in why you didn't participate in a recent consultation that followed a community discussion you’ve been part of.

Please fill out this short survey to help us improve our community consultation process for the future. It should only take about three minutes.

The privacy policy for this survey is here. This survey is a one-off request from us related to this unique topic.

Thank you for your participation, Kbrown (WMF) 10:45, 13 November 2019 (UTC)[reply]

Darkinyung people[edit]

Thanks for your edits on this page.

One point about bibliographic listings: they are sorted alphabetically by author(s) last name, not by date only. If there is more than one work by the same author, they are sorted by date within author; and if there is more than one work by the same author in the same year, they are distinguished by a single lower-case alphabetic suffix (called a "date disambiguator"), for example Smith 1995a, Smith 1995b, etc.

I mention this because I saw your hidden comment in the wikitext ("ordered by year"). I have a script which takes care of this all automatically (plus a lot more): just on the sorting (a small part of its job), it has to worry about authors with the same last name but different first names, cites with more than one author; cites that don't have any author at all, plus it adds date disambiguators automatically, if needed. If you see "fixes" in my edit summaries on any of the Australian Aboriginal articles, it is referring to this script, which I call my "ETVP script" and is partly described by the long pinned thread on my talk page. --NSH001 (talk) 23:52, 29 December 2019 (UTC)[reply]


Desktop improvements prototype[edit]

Hello, Pelagic!

User researcher barnstar.png Exploration of the Unknown
I hereby award you the Exploration of the Unknown award! You are being recognized for your courage and willingness to test a feature, gadget, or tool in development and for the constructive feedback you provided.



Thanks for taking the time to participate in the user feedback round for our desktop improvements prototype. This feedback is super valuable to us and is currently being used to determine our next steps. We have published a report gathering the main takeaways from the feedback and highlighting the changes we’ll make based on this feedback. Please take a look and give us your thoughts on the talk page of the report. To learn more about the project overall and the other features we’re planning on building in the future, check out the main project page.

SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 00:28, 9 April 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2020-22[edit]

14:18, 25 May 2020 (UTC)

The Signpost: 31 May 2020[edit]

Secret message[edit]

I wonder whether you would like User:Pelagic/common.js to look like User:Whatamidoing (WMF)/common.js.

(Just remember that if you "do" this, you will have to "undo" it when the Beta Feature arrives.) Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 03:38, 1 June 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Thanks for the hint, Whatamidoing (WMF). I'm giving it a try now. Pelagicmessages ) Z – (20:35 Mon 01, AEST) 10:35, 1 June 2020 (UTC)[reply]
Let me know what you think. I'm loving it. (I suspect that the devs produced this so that I would quit pestering them to release it here now. It is sooooo handy on long pages like VPT and ArbCom cases.) Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 15:58, 1 June 2020 (UTC)[reply]
It sure beats scrolling up to the section heading in a long discussion. There are a few things I’d need before I get to "I’m loving it" territory, though:
  1. @-mention tool (coming soon): copying and editing the user-page URL is a right pain. This would be enough to prevent me from using it regularly in production. Seems like a nice-to-have at first, but with continued use it’s more of a must-have. I wonder if the French, Hungarians, etc. feel the same.
  2. Edit summary (already a thread on this but I should go back and add to it): most of the time on a talk page, the edit summary is going to be blah like "response" or "comment", but I’ve already had situations where I wanted to put something more specific.
  3. Faith that it won’t lose my work when the browser tab reloads. I gather that most post-VE code is supposed to be able to recover, but for me that often doesn’t work. The classic-editor cycle of type–preview–type–preview is more robust. Great for short comments, but for long edits with lots of tab switching there's always Old Faithful.
  4. Works on mobile.
Pelagicmessages ) Z – (07:57 Tue 02, AEST) 21:57, 1 June 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2020-24[edit]

21:12, 8 June 2020 (UTC)

Books & Bytes – Issue 39, May – June 2020[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 39, May – June 2020

  • Library Card Platform
  • New partnerships
    • ProQuest
    • Springer Nature
    • BioOne
    • CEEOL
    • IWA Publishing
    • ICE Publishing
  • Bytes in brief

Read the full newsletter

On behalf of The Wikipedia Library team --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:13, 11 June 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Editing news 2020 #2 – Quick updates[edit]

Read this in another languageSubscription list

Mockup of the new reply feature, showing new editing tools
The new features include a toolbar. What do you think should be in the toolbar?

This edition of the Editing newsletter includes information the Wikipedia:Talk pages project, an effort to help contributors communicate on wiki more easily. The central project page is on MediaWiki.org.

Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 18:11, 15 June 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2020-25[edit]

21:38, 15 June 2020 (UTC)

Tech News: 2020-26[edit]

18:49, 22 June 2020 (UTC)

The Signpost: 28 June 2020[edit]

Tech News: 2020-27[edit]

16:31, 29 June 2020 (UTC)

Editing news 2020 #3[edit]

On 16 March 2020, the 50 millionth edit was made using the visual editor on desktop.

Seven years ago this week, the Editing team made the visual editor available by default to all logged-in editors using the desktop site at the English Wikipedia. Here's what happened since its introduction:

  • The 50 millionth edit using the visual editor on desktop was made this year. More than 10 million edits have been made here at the English Wikipedia.
  • More than 2 million new articles have been created in the visual editor. More than 600,000 of these new articles were created during 2019.
  • Almost 5 million edits on the mobile site have been made with the visual editor. Most of these edits have been made since the Editing team started improving the mobile visual editor in 2018.
  • The proportion of all edits made using the visual editor has been increasing every year.
  • Editors have made more than 7 million edits in the 2017 wikitext editor, including starting 600,000 new articles in it. The 2017 wikitext editor is VisualEditor's built-in wikitext mode. You can enable it in your preferences.
  • On 17 November 2019, the first edit from outer space was made in the mobile visual editor.
  • In 2019, 35% of the edits by newcomers, and half of their first edits, were made using the visual editor. This percentage has been increasing every year since the tool became available.

Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 02:06, 3 July 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2020-28[edit]

20:18, 6 July 2020 (UTC)

Tech News: 2020-29[edit]

16:30, 13 July 2020 (UTC)

Tech News: 2020-30[edit]

19:11, 20 July 2020 (UTC)

Pelagic[edit]

Your username is fantastic. that is all. :) --Merbabu (talk) 09:47, 24 July 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2020-31 (part)[edit]

[...]

  • The first features of the Desktop Improvements project are available for logged-in users on all wikis. In order to use them, uncheck Use Legacy Vector in your local or global preferences in section Skin preferences. More improvements are planned. Feedback is welcome.

[...]

The Signpost: 2 August 2020[edit]

Tech News: 2020-32[edit]

15:43, 3 August 2020 (UTC)

Tech News: 2020-33[edit]

16:06, 10 August 2020 (UTC)

Tech News: 2020-35[edit]

17:59, 24 August 2020 (UTC)

IFLA Library Reference Model moved to draftspace[edit]

An article you recently created, IFLA Library Reference Model, does not have enough sources and citations as written to remain published. It needs more citations from reliable, independent sources. (?) Information that can't be referenced should be removed (verifiability is of central importance on Wikipedia). I've moved your draft to draftspace (with a prefix of "Draft:" before the article title) where you can incubate the article with minimal disruption. When you feel the article meets Wikipedia's general notability guideline and thus is ready for mainspace, please click on the "Submit your draft for review!" button at the top of the page. Mccapra (talk) 23:37, 26 August 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Why, @Mccapra? Are you saying it's non-notable? Pelagicmessages ) – (14:30 Thu 27, AEST) 04:30, 27 August 2020 (UTC)[reply]
Hi. I’m saying it does not have enough sources to remain published. It has one that is not third-party. Thanks Mccapra (talk) 04:55, 27 August 2020 (UTC)[reply]
@Mccapra, that's not my understanding of how it works. Articles, even if undeveloped, are kept if the subject is notable. But whatever, I've added some third-party ref's and expanded the content slightly. Understandably for a new standard, a lot of the third-party matter is conference presentations and slide decks. I also removed the AfC template, since I have no intention of going through that process. Thanks for replying so promptly. Would you be happy for me to de-draftify it in its new state? Pelagicmessages ) – (17:32 Thu 27, AEST) 07:32, 27 August 2020 (UTC)[reply]
Yes thanks that’s great. Mccapra (talk) 09:00, 27 August 2020 (UTC)[reply]
Awesome, thanks for reviewing. Pelagicmessages ) – (19:01 Thu 27, AEST) 09:01, 27 August 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2020-41 (highlights)[edit]

m:Special:MyLanguage/Tech/News/2020/41

Selected items:

  • There is a new tool where you can see which home wiki users have in discussions on Meta. This can help show which communities are not part of the discussion on wikis where we make decisions that affect many other wikis.

Problems

  • There were many errors with the new MediaWiki version last week. The new version was rolled back. Updates that should have happened last week are late. [35]
  • Everyone was logged out. This was because a user reported being logged in to someone else's account. The problem should be fixed now. [36]
  • Advanced item Many pages have JavaScript errors. You can read more and now see a list of user scripts with errors.

Wikidata weekly summary #437 (highlight)[edit]

  • Tool of the week
    • OD2WD automatically converts CSV files from Open Data portals into QuickStatements for Wikidata republishing. Demo video

Wikidata weekly summary #439 (trimmed)[edit]

...

    • Wikidata Training Workshop 4, by Canadian Arts Presenting Association - YouTube
      • Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata - (Parts 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5)
  • Tool of the week
    • WikibaseJS-cli allows to edit Wikidata from command line, including creating items from samples ("templates") and do complex transformations of statements
    • Query examples:

...

...

  • Development

...

    • Working on creating and tracking implicit usages of Wikidata descriptions so description changes show up in the watchlist on Wikipedia and co (phab:T265897)
    • Created Extension:WikibaseManifest documentation on MediaWiki.
    • Looking into what would be considered a mismatch when comparing WIkidata's data against another database. This is groundwork for potentially automating this in the future to find potential issues in the data to flag to editors.
    • Working on deploying the new Item quality scoring model for ORES to production so we have improved quality scores [No link in original newsletter, but see Item quality judgments from ORES.]

...

... Read the full report · Mohammed Sadat (WMDE) 16:00, 26 October 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2020-44[edit]

17:37, 26 October 2020 (UTC)

Growth team updates #15[edit]

10:09, 1 November 2020 (UTC)

The Signpost: 1 November 2020[edit]

Tech News: 2020-45[edit]

16:08, 2 November 2020 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #440[edit]

IP block[edit]

This IP address or range is used by Netskope web security, which is widely used by companies and governments. For myself, I can bypass it, or wait until I am off work and edit from home. But there might be a fair bit of collateral blockage. Since it's only a short duration, side effects might not be too significant.

(Unless it's actually the X-Forwarded-For 60._._.14 that's blocked, in which case the user was someone in my building!)

This blocked user's request to have autoblock on their IP address lifted has been reviewed by an administrator, who declined the request.
Pelagic (block logactive blocksglobal blocksautoblockscontribsdeleted contribsfilter logcreation logchange block settingsunblockcheckuser (log))
Pelagic (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · filter log · WHOIS · RBLs · block user · block log)

Block message:

Autoblocked because your IP address was recently used by "ACMruralevents". The reason given for ACMruralevents's block is: ...


Decline reason: The autoblock is doing its job properly. --jpgordon𝄢𝄆 𝄐𝄇 15:33, 5 November 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Meh, thanks anyway. Pelagicmessages ) – (14:25 Fri 06, AEST) 04:25, 6 November 2020 (UTC)[reply]


Disambiguation link notification for December 14[edit]

An automated process has detected that when you recently edited South Mosman ferry wharf, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Howard Hinton.

(Opt-out instructions.) --DPL bot (talk) 06:40, 14 December 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Fixed Pelagicmessages ) – (14:08 Tue 15, AEDT) 03:08, 15 December 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Wikidata weekly summary #447[edit]

Tech News: 2020-52[edit]

20:52, 21 December 2020 (UTC)

The Signpost: 28 December 2020[edit]

Happy New Year Wikipedia[edit]

HNY from Australia! Pelagicmessages ) – (00:04 Fri 01, AEDT) 13:04, 31 December 2020 (UTC)[reply]

Wikidata weekly summary #449[edit]

Tech News: 2021-02[edit]

15:41, 11 January 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #450[edit]

DiscussionTools update[edit]

Hello,

The Editing team has scheduled a major update to mw:Extension:DiscussionTools (the new Reply tool) for next week's deployment train. Since you invoke the feature from a script (I do, too), you're probably going to see that update next week, before it's officially released in the mw:Beta Feature system. The new update will use a similar system for starting a ==New discussion==. As before, full-page wikitext editing will not be affected. There is more information on the project page at mw:Talk pages project/New discussion.

You don't have to do anything about this; I just didn't want you to be surprised. If you encounter problems next week, please ping me or leave a note on the talk page for the project. Thanks, Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 22:10, 12 January 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Wikidata weekly summary #451[edit]

Tech News: 2021-03[edit]

16:09, 18 January 2021 (UTC)

Hexagon article[edit]

Hi, Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know how to talk to you without creating a new section, which I have done here. I got feedback that my article rewrite was too informal but have not been able to get clarification. Apparently KGirl is too busy to talk to me. I also got feedback to do incremental revisions rather than a rewrite, so I made an incremental revision. Hopefully it will stick. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Phoenix-anna/sandbox/Hexagon_Qualcomm Qualcomm_Hexagon

Phoenix-anna (talk) 12:16, 19 January 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Hi, Anna, sorry I left you hanging. New section for a new discussion is the way to go with these talk pages, so definitely the right approach here. (Before they introduced the mw:Echo notification system, posting to user-talk like this was the only way to get someone's attention.) I’m not sure how best to go forward, but have some tentative thoughts (and piecewise updates rather than all-at-once replacement was one of them). I’ll post about procedural matters at User talk:Phoenix-anna/sandbox/Hexagon Qualcomm so that the discussion stays with the draft. — Pelagicmessages ) – (23:54 Thu 21, AEDT) 12:54, 21 January 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Wikidata weekly summary #455[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #456[edit]

Tech News: 2021-08[edit]


00:16, 23 February 2021 (UTC)

Test[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Pelagic&action=edit&section=new&dtenable=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Pelagic&action=edit&section=new&dtenable=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Pelagic&action=edit&section=new&something=blah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pelagic?action=edit&section=new

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Pelagic&action=edit&section=new

Pelagicmessages ) – (06:08 Mon 01, AEDT) 19:08, 28 February 2021 (UTC)[reply]

The Signpost: 28 February 2021[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #457[edit]

Tech News: 2021-09[edit]


19:06, 1 March 2021 (UTC)

Growth team newsletter #17[edit]

16:02, 3 March 2021 (UTC)

Something you may be interested in taking a look at[edit]

The first of many? :) (And yes – I know this is mystery meat navigation! :D) (Although... how do I get it to not act like the userboxes are on the right of the page all the way down? D:) DesertPipeline (talk) 05:17, 8 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Never mind; fixed the userpage problem :D DesertPipeline (talk) 05:27, 8 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@DesertPipeline: awesome, hall of fame! Pelagicmessages ) – (12:11 Fri 12, AEDT) 01:11, 12 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Wikidata weekly summary #458[edit]

Tech News: 2021-10[edit]

17:50, 8 March 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #459[edit]

Selected items...

A barnstar for you![edit]

Kindness Barnstar Hires.png The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar
Thnx for helping at the teahouse :) Chefs-kiss (talk) 17:42, 15 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2021-11[edit]

23:21, 15 March 2021 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

Hi Pelagic. Thanks for your help at teahouse. It has helped with supporting the last paragraph of this news story. Most appreciated. --Gryllida (talk) 21:03, 18 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Books & Bytes – Issue 42[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 42, January – February 2021

  • New partnerships: PNAS, De Gruyter, Nomos
  • 1Lib1Ref
  • Library Card

Read the full newsletter

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of The Wikipedia Library team --11:27, 22 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Help regarding MediaWiki[edit]

Hello Pelagic!

I'm Rafi. I Talked with you in the teahouse regarding the training of a group of editors. I'm a fresher in python and hope to learn other languages in the future. Recently I made a visit to MediaWiki and became astonished watching devs of the whole world working together just to develop open-source programs. I'm thinking of starting my journey there but feeling a lil bit confused. I've thought of starting with pywikibot. Is Talkpage feature available there too? If yes, then I can take help from you or other editors using your talkpage there. Thanks a lot and take love!! -Mrb Rafi (talk) 13:45, 22 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Hi, Rafi! I’ve learnt some other programming languages in the past, but as yet I have no experience in Python or programming for MediaWiki. It’s something I thought I would like to learn "one day". You might have just inspired me to make a start. So whilst I might not be able to offer you experience, I’d be happy to stay in touch.
MediaWiki wiki has talk pages labelled "discussion". The difference is that most talk pages there use the Structured Discussions extension.
P.S. I just discovered at mw:manual:Pywikibot/PAWS that there’s a Jupyter Hub instance that we can use! Pelagicmessages ) – (05:41 Fri 26, AEDT) 18:41, 25 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Awesome Pelagic!! I've got a classmate then. XD. I think this link is quite helpful for new learners. I'm learned python from Coursera and have a very basic idea. Now I'm trying to learn about regular expressions. -Mrb Rafi (talk) 12:21, 28 March 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2021-12[edit]

16:51, 22 March 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #460[edit]

The Signpost: 28 March 2021[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #461[edit]

Tech News: 2021-13[edit]

17:29, 29 March 2021 (UTC)

on merging Bonkei to Penjing[edit]

Hello Pelagic. Please join discussion in Talk:Penjing#Proposal to merge Bonkei to Penjing (April 2021)--HaussmannSaintLazare (talk) 02:53, 5 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Tech News: 2021-14[edit]

19:38, 5 April 2021 (UTC)

The Asgill Affair article[edit]

Hi Pelagic, I see you've been busy on this article. Since Henry Greville's article has him in the wrong regiment, please could you make the necessary correction? I happen to know how many weeks of work went into correcting the mistakes in General Washington's Dilemma by Katherine Mayo. There are some errors relative to the names and regiments of the thirteen officers drawing lots, of which Henry Greville was one. The 7th Earl Spencer mistranscribed the name of the writer of the eye-witness-account-of-the-drawing-of-lots letter. All references to The Hon. R. Fulke Greville, of the First Foot Guards, are now known to refer to Lieutenant and Captain The Hon. Henry Greville of the Second Regiment of Foot Guards (now known as the Coldstream Guards). All references to Asgylle and Asgyle refer to Lieutenant and Captain Charles Asgill of the First Regiment of Foot Guards (now known as the Grenadier Guards). [1] Anne (talk) 15:42, 17 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

No need to delete the unread message. It shows in my alerts. But since you say this specific concern is resolved, I won't ping back. I’ve reinstated the post for reference, and moved it to the bottom. One day I'll clean out all the newsletters and make this page easier to use. I pinged about the "Thirteen Officers" reference at Data; will await an answer there. Pelagicmessages ) – (18:46 Sun 18, AEDT) 07:46, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Sorry, Pelagic, I was a bit concerned about changing Greville's regiment, given all the confusion over that, and his name, but was eventually persuaded by an admin to get on with it and do it, so I thought I would save you the bother of looking. If I am supposed to be replying to you elsewhere, I have had no notification, and don't know where to look for your comment. My IT skills are not up to coping well here (I'm not part of the computer generation). Anne (talk) 08:00, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]
Sorry, Anne, I must have inadvertently pinged you when pasting above. I just saw the quote from p. 100 that you provided at Talk:Sir Charles Asgill, 2nd Baronet#Henry Francis Greville. Thanks for sharing that. I can think of reasons why you may not have seen a notification from Wikidata; rather than running you from pillar to post, let's continue the discussion at Asgill's talk page. I have replied there. Pelagicmessages ) – (08:15 Mon 19, AEDT) 21:15, 18 April 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Wikidata weekly summary #464[edit]

Tech News: 2021-16[edit]

16:48, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

The Signpost: 25 April 2021[edit]

The Signpost: 25 April 2021[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #465[edit]

Tech News: 2021-17[edit]

21:23, 26 April 2021 (UTC)

Tech News: 2021-18[edit]

15:42, 3 May 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #466[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #466[edit]

Books & Bytes – Issue 43[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 43, March – April 2021

  • New Library Card designs
  • 1Lib1Ref May

Read the full newsletter

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of The Wikipedia Library team --11:11, 10 May 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Wikidata weekly summary #467[edit]

Tech News: 2021-19[edit]

15:09, 10 May 2021 (UTC)

Tech News: 2021-20[edit]

13:48, 17 May 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #468[edit]

Growth Newsletter #18[edit]

15:23, 17 May 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #469[edit]

Tech News: 2021-21[edit]

17:05, 24 May 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #470[edit]

Tech News: 2021-22[edit]

17:04, 31 May 2021 (UTC)

Epping, New South Wales[edit]

Hello! I saw that you became involved at the aforementioned article talk page disagreement on west/north and using more specific language. I'm planning to provide a third opinion on it, but I'm not sure if you are involving yourself in the discussion or planning to provide a 3O yourself. Either way, I cannot (or rather will not) take on 3Os that involve more than two editors, so thank you for participating! Sennecaster (What now?) 12:30, 7 June 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Wikidata weekly summary #471[edit]

Tech News: 2021-23[edit]

20:01, 7 June 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #472[edit]

Tech News: 2021-24[edit]

20:25, 14 June 2021 (UTC)

Question from I-U-She Thomas (14:56, 15 June 2021)[edit]

How to make a new article if, I'm a new user --I-U-She Thomas (talk) 14:56, 15 June 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Hi, @I-U-She Thomas, sorry I didn't answer, I've been inactive for a bit. What kind of article are you interested in creating? (I'll hop over to your user pages in a sec and see how you've been doing.) Pelagic (talk) 10:38, 22 June 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Editing news 2021 #2[edit]

Read this in another languageSubscription list for this newsletter

Junior contributors comment completion rate across all participating Wikipedias
When newcomers had the Reply tool and tried to post on a talk page, they were more successful at posting a comment. (Source)

Earlier this year, the Editing team ran a large study of the Reply Tool. The main goal was to find out whether the Reply Tool helped newer editors communicate on wiki. The second goal was to see whether the comments that newer editors made using the tool needed to be reverted more frequently than comments newer editors made with the existing wikitext page editor.

The key results were:

  • Newer editors who had automatic ("default on") access to the Reply tool were more likely to post a comment on a talk page.
  • The comments that newer editors made with the Reply Tool were also less likely to be reverted than the comments that newer editors made with page editing.

These results give the Editing team confidence that the tool is helpful.

Looking ahead

The team is planning to make the Reply tool available to everyone as an opt-out preference in the coming months. This has already happened at the Arabic, Czech, and Hungarian Wikipedias.

The next step is to resolve a technical challenge. Then, they will deploy the Reply tool first to the Wikipedias that participated in the study. After that, they will deploy it, in stages, to the other Wikipedias and all WMF-hosted wikis.

You can turn on "Discussion Tools" in Beta Features now. After you get the Reply tool, you can change your preferences at any time in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion.

Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk)

00:27, 16 June 2021 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #473[edit]

Tech News: 2021-25[edit]

15:48, 21 June 2021 (UTC)

The Signpost: 27 June 2021[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #474[edit]

Tech News: 2021-26[edit]